Our Curriculum Drivers
The following features, underpin all of our curriculum planning:
- PRIDE: Developing an inherent drive to learn and pride in learning.
- FASCINATION: Igniting deep fascination and curiosity in our pupils.
- CHILD-LED: Giving children ownership of a planned outcome that is the culmination of the topic studied. It is the teacher’s role to plant a seed of an idea and to ‘exploit’ the children’s own ideas and interests.
- RESILIENCE: Opportunities for children to learn independently, which include opportunities to experience failure.
- RELEVANCE: Making learning relevant in today’s world and to our local context, and discovering useful connections and links.
In addition our curriculum will:
- Explicitly teach kindness, sharing, caring for and serving others.
- Take advantage of the school’s local environment in a rural setting.
- Allow opportunities to engage with and learn from the local community, including parents.
- Be well structured and sequenced, building upon prior knowledge.
- Provide opportunities to learn, embed and apply knowledge and skills.
At Longstone, we teach whole school topics, adapting these where needed to cover KS1/2 objectives as effectively as possible. We do this in a 4 year cycle and use our skills progression maps of all subjects to support this.